Friday, February 14, 2014

Family Recipe: Green Wreaths


Celebrating a real Midwestern Christmas means an abundance of assorted baked goods, bars and other lovingly prepared holiday treats. After the meal, whether lunch or dinner, emptied casserole dishes and salads are quickly cleared away to make room on the counters. Overflowing trays and vintage tins filled with layers of cookies between wax paper are brought in from the garage where they have been kept from melting by the winter chill. There are, of course, staples that annually return; several of them being Spritz cookies, melted hugs over pretzels, fudge, Oreo balls, and the very festive Wreaths.

Similar to a Rice Krispie Treat, Wreaths are a simple mixture of marshmallows and cereal formed into small wreath shapes in honor of the holiday décor. But there is nothing simple about the feelings the green circles bring. Wreaths are one of those things for me that instantly make me feel a strong sense of nostalgia, of all the Christmases spent eating these between the meals, church service, and opening of gifts. Practically none of the desserts on the aforementioned trays and tins require a fork or plate. So you will always see someone walking around the house with one or two of the treats in their hands, though they have been told many times to grab a small plate to prevent crumbs. Everyone always ends up with sticky fingers and wreaths are no exception to these instances.

I honestly cannot remember a Christmas without them. Even when my immediate family couldn’t make it out to Minnesota for the winter the one or two times, we still gathered in the kitchen to whip up a batch. Usually several batches of wreaths are made for us in advance since my family gobbles them up on visits without even trying to keep count of how many we have eaten. I think my Dad would agree he is the worst. Except for the intricately shaped Rosettes, my Dad’s favorite Christmas dessert is a green wreath, sometimes two sandwiched together so that they only look like one. My Mom always seems to be asking him how many he’s had once the desserts have been out for a while.

Maren, Grandma Joyce & Grandpa Larry making wreaths circa 1997.

My sister, Maren, is always right behind my Dad in Wreath consumption. Though she also has always loved to participate in the dessert’s preparation. This past Christmas when she and her boyfriend, Alec, were visiting home from Santa Barbara, they whipped up a batch of Wreaths. I arrived home a day or two afterwards once my finals had finished. I was so excited to see the cookie jar full of Wreaths. I had one my first night back, but when I went to grab another the next day, they were already gone. All of them. Alec had been allowed to bring a Wreath back for each of his family members to try but still, there should have been plenty left for me to have another. When the matter came up at dinner that night and everyone shared the number of wreaths they had consumed, the case was closed. I hadn’t stood a chance coming back so late in the game. It just goes to show how irresistible Wreaths are.

To make your own batch of delectable Christmas Wreaths, I have included my Grandparents’ recipe:


What You Will Need:

30 Marshmallows
½ Cup Butter
¼ Tsp Green food coloring
½ Tsp Vanilla Extract
3 ½ Cups Cornflakes Cereal

Directions:

First, melt the butter. Then add all of the marshmallows and stir until they are melted. Next, add the vanilla and food coloring followed by the cornflakes. Stir until the cornflakes are evenly coated in the green mixture.

Grandpa Larry, me, Grandma Joyce, Maren & my brother, William, making wreaths circa 2005.


Be sure to form your wreaths on greased wax paper or foil or you will be left carefully picking off the liners from your Wreaths when you go to eat them. Decorate your Wreaths with red cinnamon candies (or whatever) for a real festive touch. And don’t forget to lick the spoon!

Enjoying the sticky leftovers from the pot.




2 comments:

  1. I was laughing out loud when I read this post! I'm sorry for being a wreath-hog! But hey, "Yah snooze yah lose!" haha It's hard for me to control myself when it comes to those tasty wreaths... Or really any of the christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it made you laugh! And don't worry about being a hog :)

      Delete